Are Four-O-Clocks Toxic And Are They Safe For Compost
Question From: S. Chen - CALIFORNIA
Q: I see on your instructions that you recommend composting them at the end of the season. I was curious if that will be harmful in anyway since they are poisonous (at least that I what I've read elsewhere...that they are toxic to pests but also to humans and pets). Will putting it in the compost pile add "poison" to my compost/compost tea and so on?
Many of the plants in our gardens are toxic to humans and animals yet we grow them in our gardens and compost their remains. They usually make up such a small percentage of the whole the toxicity is negligible, Also the poisonous chemicals are broken down as the plant matter decomposes. That said, 4 o-clocks are not listed on the Cornel website of toxic plalnts. http://poisonousplants.ansci.cornell.edu/comlist.html. If you are worried, chop them up very fine and mix them in well. Best And Happy Yardening, Nancy