Sulfur is probably the oldest known pesticide (fungicide) in current use. Homer described the benefits of "pest-averting sulfur" 3,000 years ago.
Sulfur can be used as a dust, wettable powder, paste or liquid. It primarily is used for disease control as it is effective against powdery mildews, certain rusts, leaf blights, and fruit rots.
However, spider mites, psyllids, and thrips are also susceptible to sulfur. Most pesticidal sulfur is labeled for vegetables such as beans, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, and fruit crops such as grapes, apples, pears, cherries, peaches, plums and prunes.
One the drawbacks of sulfur is its potential to cause plant injury in hot (+90 F), dry weather. The element also is incompatible with other pesticides. Sulfur should not be used within 20 to 30 days on plants where spray oils are applied since it reacts with the oils to make a more phytotoxic combination.
Sulfur is non-toxic to mammals but may be irritating to the skin and especially eyes.
Bonide Sulfur Fungicide
Sulfur Fungicide by Bonide
Powder Concentrate – Botanical – Elemental Sulfur 90%
This is a specially prepared micronic sulfur powder (very fine texture) suitable for use as a dust or spray (mixed with water). The fine particle size gives better coverage, adhesion and disease control. This product controls a large number of fungal diseases on fruits, vegetables and various ornamentals.
LIQUID SULFUR IS ANOTHER OPTION
Concentrate 17% Sulfur
Ingredients: Hydrated lime and wettable sulfur. Analysis: Calcium 5% Sulfur 17% Description: Soil Sul helps restore dark green color to plants, loosens soil to improve water penetration and lowers pH of alkaline soils to help release nutrients locked up in the soil. Application Recommendations: Use 1 pint of Soil Sul to 5 gallons of water or 8 tbsp. to 1 gallon of water. Use enough solution to saturate the entire root area. Soil Sul application can be repeated every 30 days until the desired results are obtained.
- A traditional, low-cost treatment that controls various fungal disease and mites in your garden.
- For use on crop plants and trees, and roses, flowers, and ornamentals.
- Available in a 300 g container.
- May be dusted directly onto plants or bulbs, or may be mixed with water for spray application.
- May use up to 1 day before harvest on all crops except grapes for wine (requires 21-day interval).
WE LIKE ANY OF THE ORGANIC BONIDE PRODUCTS
- A Special Micronic Preparation Suitable For Use As Dust Or Spray
- Can Be Used As Fungicide On Fruits
- 4 LB, Sulphur Dust Fungicide
- Vegetables & Ornamentals
- Fungicide, organic. Use as a dust or as a spray. The fine particle size gives better coverage, adhesion, and disease control. Controls diseases on fruits, vegetables, and ornamentals. Controls rust, powdery mildew, and scab on apples and pears, and black