If you have two acres with a 1000 square foot vegetable garden you may need a good sized tiller to keep the garden soil loose. But a garden less than a 1000 square feet should not be roto-tilled in the spring after the first or second year of having the garden. You break up the soil's structure that the soil creatures have spent the last year building. You cause the soil to compact and not drain as well. Why screw up your soil at the very beginning of the growing season.
We show one below. However, for most of us yardeners, a small gas powered tiller will cover our tilling needs. See below for examples.
Troy-Bilt TB144 26cc 4-Cycle Gas-Powered Cultivator/Tiller with Edger Attachment Kit
- SpringAssist starting system for dramatically reduced starting effort - starts with a slow and steady pull.
- Edger attachment kit included - converts in minutes with no tools required.
- 8-inch patented steel cultivating tines dig, weed and shred for premium soil preperation.
- Adjustable tilling width from 6-inch to 10-1/4-inch, Adjustable tilling depth up to 8-inch
- Non-CARB Compliant/Not For Sale In California
This newly designed 2-in-1 machine cultivates your garden AND makes a crisp bed edge. The versatile design means you can convert it quickly from a cultivator to an edger with no tools. Plus, it is lightweight for easy maneuvering. Thats why it is a favorite of gardeners with small vegetable, flower or herb gardens. Front bumper and border edger attachment included. 2-year limited warranty. U.S.A.