Wall Hydrangea Has Curled Leaves And Flower Buds

Question From: K. Osborn - Bakersfield, California, United States
Q: We have a Wall Hydrangea which has been flourishing on the North brick wall of our house for at least 10 years. About 10 days ago it started to develop curled leaves and flower buds on about 75% of its new growth. The remaining 25% is still looking normal. Giving extra water has had no effect on the condition. Have you any suggestions as to what is the cause and how we might remedy it?

Sounds like possible herbicide or other chemical damage. Best to keep it well watered and wait and see. Fertlizing will only weaken the vine at this point. Best and Happy Yardening, Nancy