Kelp Meal 1-0-2 by Espoma
Kelp Meal is brown seaweed harvested from the cold, nutrient-rich waters of the north Atlantic Ocean. Espoma® Kelp Meal, Ascophyllum nodosum, is the best species of kelp for both horticultural and agricultural use. This excellent natural source of chelated minerals and plant hormones is harvested and processed at a low temperature to preserve the biologically active components. It is then ground to produce a meal. Espoma® Kelp Meal is approved for organic gardening.
Benefits of Kelp Meal:
• Source of essential plant growth hormones
• The immediate benefit obtained from kelp can be attributed to the release of auxins, cytokinins and gibberellins. These plant growth hormones, required in small quantities, are essential for cell division and cell elongation, basic functions of plant growth. Enhanced seed germination, early emergence, stimulated root and shoot growth, increased fruit set and decreased fruit (drop)are some of the benefits derived from increased levels of plant hormones.
• Source of minerals and nutrients
• When used as a fertilizer supplement, kelp is an excellent source of chelated minerals necessary for proper plant growth. Kelp meal acts as a slow release fertilizer, slowly breaking down and releasing its nutrients, (including nitrogen, potash, and a variety of other trace elements essential for plant growth.) Mannitol and alginic acid, major components of kelp, act as chelating agents helping in the formation of humus. The potential benefit of a kelp fertilizer supplement increases each year as it contributes to the soil organic matter.
• Soil conditioner
• Kelp meal is an excellent source of organic matter due to its rapid rate of decomposition. The application of kelp acts as a soil conditioner by stimulating microbial activity. The carbohydrates and acids released during decomposition of the kelp results in the aggregation of soil particles and the chelating of nutrients which might otherwise be leached from the soil. Good soil structure improves aeration, available moisture, and makes the soil more workable. The repeated use of kelp helps maintain soil fertility and soil structure.
Directionsfor using Kelp Meal
Lawns: 10 lbs. per 100 square feet
Flowers & Gardens: 3 lbs. per 100 square feet
Trees: 1 lb. Per inch of trunk diameter
Locating Espoma Products
Espoma products can be found in most independent garden centers. For the closest store near you go to Espoma\'s Web Site or call 1-800-634-0603.